Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Italian Croutons for Under $2

My family eats a lot of spinach salad on a pretty regular basis. One of the tricks to getting my 6 year excited about this frequent side dish is the promise of some crunchy seasoned croutons on top. It doesn't matter if we've already eaten salad every night that week, all I have to do it pick up a bag of packaged bread cubes and she's all in.

With that being said, those little bags of croutons are kind of expensive. If you are a smart shopping, frugal momma like me, you probably pay $1-$3 per bag. That adds up when you have a husband like mine who uses half that bag on 1 little side salad.

I digress...

Seeing as how school is starting Monday and I've switched into some weird "nesting" syndrome I decided to make a batch of homemade croutons to go with some of the dinners I am planning this week.

It was super easy and took about 20 minutes. 

Recipe:
1 Loaf Texas Toast Bread
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 white wine
1 packet Italian Seasoning

Cut the texas toast bread into bite size squares. Mix the oil, white wine and seasoning. Drizzle mixture of squares and bake at 350 degrees for 10-20 minutes.


I added some fresh oregano too :)


Tip: I put the squares in a tupperware container and then drizzled the oil/wine/seasoning mixture over it, closed the lid and shook the whole container until everything was perfectly coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment